Oahu's Closed Movie Theaters
A guide to movie theaters on the island of Oahu
that are now closed.
Oahu Theaters Shut Down
This single screen 620-seat theater opened in Honolulu in 1932
and closed in 1954. Consolidated Theatres owned
the Aala Theater in the 1950's. The building is
now being used as a retail outlet selling beachwear
Aikahi Twin Theater
This neighborhood movie theater in Kailua was opened
by Pacific/Consolidated Theaters in 1975 and it was
closed by the same company in August of 2007.
The theater originally had one screen but it was
split into two screens in 2985.
The Aikahi Theater was located in the Aikahi Shopping
Center at 25 Kaneohe Bay Drive in Kailua on the
windward side of Oahu.
Enchanted Lake Cinemas
This 3-screen theater complex operated by Wallace Theaters
opened at 1060 Keolu Drive in Kailua in the mid 1990's
and it closed in 2004. It is in the same center as the
currently operating Keolu Center Cinema 4, also operated
by Wallace Theaters.
Golden Harvest Theatre
This 740 seat theater was located at 1152 Smith Street
in Honolulu and it featured primarily Chinese language
movies and martial arts films. The theater opened in 1981
and closed in 1995.
IMAX Waikiki Movie Theater
This IMAX giant screen theater with 420 seats
opened in 1991 at 325 Seaside Avenue in Waikiki.
This theater closed in 2003 and in 2005 the site
became the home of
Cirque Hawaii, a live show
similar to Cirque du Soleil.
Waikiki IMAX Theater Closed in July of 2003
Formerly located in Haleiwa Town on the north shore
of Oahu where the McDonalds Restaurant is today.
Hawaii Cinerama Theater
This single-screen 950 seat theater with a
spanish style interior opened at 1550 South King
Street in Honolulu in 1929 as the new Pawaa Theater.
It was remodeled in 1962 and renamed the Cinerama Theater.
The theater showed classic and second run films throughout
the 1990's but it finally closed in 1999. It is now
an auto parts store.
This two screen theater in Kailua on the windward
sid eof Oahu opened in the middle 1990's and it
closed in 2004. Operated by Wallace Theaters.
The Kaimuki Theater at 3660 Waialae Avenue in Palolo, Kahala,
opened in February of 1922 and it closed after a December 1980 storm
damaged the roof and the interior. It was demolished
in 1982. The former theater site is now the location
of the exclusive
3660 On The Rise Restaurant.
Photo of the Kaimuki Theater
The Day the Kaimuki Theater Died
Originally called the Jerry Lewis Twin.
This single screen 730 seat theater at 611 kapahulu Avenue in Honolulu
closed in the 1980's and the building was demolished.
it was originally owned by Royal Theatres and in the 1950's
Consolidated Theatres took over operations.
Operated by Consolidated Theatres.
Kuhio Theater and Kuhio Twin
The Kuhio Theater had one large screen when it
originally opened in 1946. The movie "Hawaii" had its
Hawaii preview here in the 1960's. In the 1980's
the theater was remodeled to have 2 smaller screens.
The Kuhio Theater was located at 2095 Kuhio Avenue in Honolulu.
The theater closed in the 1990's and the
building was demolished in 1996 and replace by
a shopping center.
Photo of the Kuhio Theater
Operated by Royal.
Pearlridge Cinema 4
Opened at 98-151 Pali Momi Street in Aiea by Consolidated
Theatres in the late 1970's and closed in 2000.
Converted into office space.
The 700 seat Princess Theater originally
opened at 1236 Fort Street Mall in downtown Honolulu
in 1928. In 1958 it was remodeled to accommodate
3 strip Cinerama films.
The 850 seat, single screen Queen Theater was built
in Kaimuki in 1936. It was located at 3588 Waialae Avenue
Photo #1 of the Queen Theater
Photo #2 of the Queen Theater
This theater opened in 1938 featured Japanese language
films until it begain showing adult movies
in the late 1960's. The theater is now closed but
it was listed on the National Register of Historic
Places in 1982.
Varsity Twins Theater
This two screen theater complex with 480 seats is
located in the Moiili area near the University of Hawaii at Manoa.
It opened in 1939 as a single screen theater and the
second screen was added in the 1980's. There has been
talk in recent years of closing it and building new
dorms for UH. Theater building was designed by architect
Charles W. Dickey who died in 1942. According to a
2005 Honolulu Weekly article, in later years the theater
was prone to leaking when it rained. The theater
was used as a lecture hall by the University of Hawaii in
the 1960's and 1970's and later it specialized in showing
art films. Pacific/Consolidated theaters closed
the Varsity Twin Cinema on June 17, 2007 and they traded
the property to the Kamehameha Schools.
Do9rm Vision for Vasity Theatre Site
Pacific/Consolidated Closed Varsity Twin
Photo of the Varsity Theater
Waikiki Theater and Waikii 3 Theater
This theater at 2284 Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki, Honolulu
opened in 1936 with a single screen. It was famous for
its white palace exterior decor, tropical interior decor,
lobby fishpond, and cinema organ. designed by architect Charles W.
Dickey who died in 1942. The Waikiki Theater's name
was changed to the Waikiki 3 When the Waikiki 1 and
Waikiki 2 theaters opened nearby. The theater closed in November
of 2002 and demolished in 2005.
Article About the Waikiki Theater
Hawaii's Shut Down Ethnic Theaters
-Golden Harvest (Chinese)
-Liberty Theater (Chinese)
-Toya Theater (Japanese)
-Nippon Theater (Japanese)
-Zamboango Theatre (Filipino)
Oahu Movie Theaters by Location
Movie Theaters on Other Islands
Oahu Island - Main Menu
Islands of Hawaii
Hawaii for Visitors
[an error occurred while processing this directive]