Information about light stations and lighthouses
on the island of Lanai in Hawaii.
Paiaoa Point Lighthouse
Also known as the Cape Kaea Light.
Displayed for the first time on June 6, 1934.
onsisting of an automated beacon positioned atop a wooden skeletal tower,
the light was one of eleven acetylene-powered lights built in the islands
during the late 1920s and early 1930s. The flashing white light with a
period of six seconds has a focal plane of ninety-one feet above the
water and has a red sector to mark rocks to the southeast off Manele
To transport the harvest from the island, the bight at the mouth of
Kaumalapau Gulch was converted into a small harbor by constructing
a breakwater on the north side of this small indentation along
Lanai's southwest shore. The island's first navigational light
was established at the end of the breakwater in 1924, and the following
year, the Bureau of Lighthouses assumed control for this beacon and
established a second light on the south side of the entrance to
Kaumalapau Harbor. This second light was originally a beacon mounted
atop a small wooden building but has since been replaced with a metal
pole, daymark placard, and a solar powered light.
Kaumalapau Harbor on the western coast of Lanai.
Manele bay Lighthouse
In 1965 a breakwater was constructed in Manele Bay to form a small harbor.
At the outer end of the breakwater, a beacon mounted atop a pole anchored
in a ten-foot-high white house served as an entrance light. Today,
a cement base supports a pole light that serves pleasure craft and the
ferry that runs between Lanai and Maui.
Located at the end of the breakwater in the harbor at Manele Bay.
Pohakuloa Point Lighthouse
A metal pole light was installed in 1968 at Pohakuloa Point,
the northern-most point of land on Lanai Island.
(same as the lighthouse ruins at Shipwreck Beach?)
Kaunolu Village Light Tower
Other Attractions on Lanai island
Lanai Travel Guide
About Maui County
Islands of Hawaii